Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Overnight at Grandma and Grandpa's - Finally

So it finally happened.  It took 5 1/2 years but it finally happened.  My mom has been waiting for 5 1/2 years for G-Man to stay overnight with them at his own request.

I think it was the week after we brought him home from China at 2 1/2 years old when Mom first asked me when he could stay overnight with them.  I gently explained that it would be months if not years before that would happen.  I explained (again) about the importance of bonding and attachment and trust.  She understood and, of course, wanted the best for him.  But it's always been in the back of her mind.  Mind you, the older grandkids were at their house nearly every weekend since they were born.

I've asked G-Man over the years if he was interested in staying the night with my parents.  He wasn't until last night.  It was his idea.  He just turned 8.

We had a dinner to go to for my work and we had planned to pick him up afterward.  He told me he thought he might like to stay overnight.  What?  It took alot of discussion and, for us, a leap of faith in a way.  Of course, we trust my parents completely.  It's just that we really enjoy having him around and all those "what ifs" in the back of our minds gave us fodder for doubt.  Maybe it would be better if we waited...

So we bit the bullet and let him stay.  The house seemed so empty.  We didn't know what to do.  We just looked at each other when we got home and it was...quiet.  If this is what an "empty nest" feels like then I want no part of it for a damn long time.  G-Man can live with us until he's 35 as far as I'm concerned.

The ice is broken.  I wonder how long it'll be until he wants to stay overnight again.  I hope it's a while because I need to get over this one first and it may be a while.  :)


No comments: